Monday, June 18, 2012

Daily 5 Kinder Book Study Chapter 1


Ok I am a little behind schedule but here are my responses to  
click on the pic above to visit Tammy and the other Daily 5 kinder teachers.


1. How do I teach new behaviors?

I use a combo of the Sisters' correct/incorrect/correct model with Whole Brain Teaching gestures and score board. This has really helped the year to start off on the right foot. The kids of course love to model the incorrect way and I have found that going over WHY this is correct and WHY this is incorrect has made a big difference. 

2. How do I teach expectations?

Model, Model, Model and then model again :) We use the I Do, We Do, You Do set up at my school and I have come to realize that if I model and check for understanding a lot in the first few weeks I will have fewer problems then if I jump to the We Do and You Do.

3. How do I monitor student behavior? whole group? small groups? individual?

I use a clip chart based on Rick Morris' for individual and the  Whole Brain Teaching Scoreboard  for whole class. I hope to use the clip chart less next year but plan to still introduce it.

4. What do I do when a student is not exhibiting desired behavior?

I have students practice what ever behavior the correct way for a few minutes of recess or choice time. I also have this card I send home for students that need more practice


5. Whose classroom is it?

It is our classroom but I have the last word just like at home parents have the last word because they have been around the longest :) I try to make the classroom a community, a family of learners but I am still the final say.

6. Locus of control?

Prizes and stickers work :) I do believe in reading for the joy of reading but also think that in the real world you work because you get paid so I "pay" the students that work hard during the day. Sometimes that is just a high five and "Great Job Sally!" other times it is a sticker, stamp or prize.

7. Where are supplies stored?

I have table supplies in caddies and community supplies on a book shelf. This is easier to manage. Students get book baskets to store their books, writing notebook and a fluency folder.

4 comments:

  1. Love the card you send home to have the students practice the rules. Great idea!

    April
    Wolfelicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you explain your individual "clipboard" to go with WBT a bit please? Do you have an example? Is it just the rules across the top? Do you start with it right away etc. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

 

Transitional Kinder with Mrs. O Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design